The government has started the process for new rules for power consumers across the country, a draft has been prepared by the Ministry of Power for which many rights have been given
◆ The country’s electricity consumers will get a lot of rights
◆ Draft prepared for the rights of consumers
◆ This draft can be given till 30th September
● For the first time, the government has prepared a draft in the interest of consumers. Invited for advice, consideration, comment on this draft till September 30 by the Ministry of Power. The ministry released a draft in this regard on September 9. And will be finalized in view of all subsequent advice and proposals.
● Timely and easy process for connection: only two documents for electrical connections up to 10 kW and no estimated demand fee for loads up to 150 kW to speed up the connection.
● The period for granting new connections and improving existing connections shall not exceed 7 days in metro cities, 15 days in other municipal areas and 30 days in rural areas.
● 2 to 5 percent discount on billing with a delay of 60 days or more.
● Formation of State Electricity Commission to determine the number of customers per year and the duration of outage for electricity distribution companies DISCOM
● To give the option to pay outstanding bills through cash, check, debit card and net banking etc. and only Rs.1000 or more bills can be paid online
● Provisions related to disconnection, reconnection, meter replacement, billing and payment etc.
● Recognizing the range of consumers as a series of prozumers, this is a person who is a consumer of electricity as well as has installed solar energy equipment on the floor.
● Provision of compensation or penalty in case of delay in service by electricity distribution companies and reimbursement as far as possible in the bill.
● 24×7 Toll-free call center, web-based support and general services SMS and e-mail for work such as new connection, disconnection, reconnection, change of connection location, name change, change of load, change of meter, power supply.
● Establishment of Consumer Grievance Redressal Forum with 2-3 representatives of consumers at various levels from sub division to facilitate redressal of consumer grievances
It is a step forward in expanding GUVNL’s (Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam Limited) digital presence and bringing various facilities/services of our electricity distribution companies on a common platform to further our outreach for a consumer base of around 1.30 Crore in the State of Gujarat